If you’ve been on social media in the last month, you’ve probably seen everyone posting the ten-year challenge. A picture of them from ten years ago compared to a picture of them today. I thought it would be fun, so I went looking for pictures from 2009.
My 10 year Challenge
2009 was a busy time in my family’s life. I was busy being a mom, Girl Scout leader, a new youth director, and working with Brady in our business. Looking at pictures we have the memories of Taylor and Katelynn dancing and Lauren starring in Annie, but there seemed to be something absent in every photo. Me.
I don’t have is one picture of me by myself and I was only in two family pictures. I was taking everyone else’s picture and making sure everything was taken care of for them. I forgot one thing…. to take care of me. I put everyone else’s needs above my own and along the way forgot to think about my needs and wants. I forgot that you can’t help others before you help yourself.
Ten years ago, I was so “busy” that I forgot to have dreams of my own. I was doing what I thought would work to help me be more comfortable in my own skin. I “dieted” on and off, I regularly exercised, but I was still not looking the way I wanted to. The shortcomings I had in my self-image made it easy for me to fall into the shadows and put the focus on everyone else.
I turn 49 today on December 5. That used to sound so old! I can honestly say I feel so much better today than I did 10 years ago. I’m learning to dream again and set new goals for myself! As proud of being a mom as I am, I want people to know me as Jenny FIRST and Taylor, Lauren, & Katelynn’s mom 2nd. I’m reinventing my identity to others and to myself. I am in the background no more!
Starting my health coaching business this year has challenged me in new ways. It has been scary, and hard, and EXCITING. I always thought of myself as the introvert, engineer, behind the scenes helper type. I am still those things but I’m also learning to network and market and serve people in new ways. I have always loved learning and challenging myself. Learning new things keeps you young!
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.” Henry Ford
SO…what have I learned?
- I have learned how to eat to feel my best. I have always loved to cook, but a lot of recipes involved prepacked ingredients. Hello cream of mushroom soup!
- I’ve learned to get back to basics and cook like our grandparents had to with real ingredients. I still take advantage of modern kitchen tools that make cooking easier. (Yes, I’m a pampered chef addict.)
- I’ve learned that I actually love how exercise makes me feel. I no longer exercise to make up for what I ate. I know I’m less stressed and have more energy when I make the time to exercise.
- I’ve learned to incorporate many different workouts into my routine. I now run 5K’s, do Pilates, and incorporate yoga and stretching. I still love a good Zumba class, but my workouts are a little more well-rounded now.
- I have learned that I AM WORTH IT! I am not destined to be in the shadows. I am my own person and I deserve to feel great!
As I look back over these 10 years, I am proud of how far I’ve come. I now pose for pictures with the confidence that my girls have, I feel great, and I’m no longer sitting on the sidelines. I have made me and my health a priority and it has paid off immensely.
I’m thankful that I discovered in my late 40’s that it is not too late to change my health and my life!
I plan to make my future 10 years older self proud of me.
I will continue to make daily choices that have long term payoffs instead of short-term pleasures!
I will continue to believe in myself and push myself to go out of my comfort zone to try new things!
I will fully participate in my life and be in the pictures!
How did your 10-year challenge go? Are there things you wished you did differently? What are you proud of accomplishing?
What would your future 10 years older self want you to start doing differently today? If it’s prioritizing your health and prioritizing yourself, I would love to help! Message me and lets start working on a plan today (no time like the present!). You are worth the work to have good health and the amazing life you deserve!
One of the things that made a huge difference in my progress is my morning routine. Click here to get my checklist!